Tuesday, October 2, 2012

What to Do When You Have a Rough Day


If you find yourself in the middle of a rough day, sometimes the best thing you can do is just ride it out. I tend to try to fight my negative emotions and convince myself that I can feel better if I just concentrate hard enough—it never works. I’ve realized that sometimes I just need to feel what I’m feeling and not fight it.

I have to admit: today was a rough day. I went to sleep late, and I woke up too early. I went through the motions in the morning and drove to work. I felt tired and cranky, and all I wanted to do was to go back to sleep!

I realized it was going to be a busy day, and I did my best to mentally prepare myself to get through it gracefully, yet that didn’t actually happen! I felt like I was struggling to just get through the day. I finally felt better during the last facial of the day. I had about ten minutes to go and I breathed a sigh of relief. All of a sudden, I felt a burst of energy. I thought, Really? Now that it’s the end of the day, I get this burst of energy?!

This is what I learned and what I’d like to share:
In the midst of a rough day, breathe a sigh of relief knowing that what you're feeling is just temporary. Sometimes you can’t fight your negative emotions. You just have to ride them out or at least let them be!

Here are a few ways to find relief, even during a stressful day:
  • Take a quick five-minute break and close your eyes. Breathe deeply and slowly and let a little bit of the stress melt away.
  • Take a short walk outside if you can. The fresh air, sunshine, and change of scenery can uplift you, even for the moment.
  • Write out your feelings on a piece of paper and then throw it away. You’ll feel like you’ve released them and you can move forward with a clear mind.
  • Eat something nourishing. It’s a good distraction and you’ll feel better physiologically!
  • And finally: realize that you have the freedom to choose how you react to everything. You don’t have to get caught up in a whirlwind of stress. You can choose to stay grounded in a calm state of grace—and if you do get caught up in the stress or negativity, just ride it out and know that it’s temporary. You will make it through!


Photo © 2012 Meaghan Grettano

No comments: