Monday, August 20, 2012

What is Confidence, Really?

I’m doing something a little different this week. I’ve been having so many insights, and instead of trying to write a perfect article for each one, I feel inspired to express my thoughts in a more free-flowing way.
It seems like throughout my whole life, people have been telling me I need to be more confident. I’ve grown to almost hate that word! And I hear it everywhere: Confidence is sexy, confidence is key, guys are attracted to confident women…okay, I get it! But how does a person become confident if they’ve never really experienced it?
I’ve explored the concept of confidence, and the dictionary definition is kind of boring: belief in oneself and one’s powers or abilities. What does that really mean and how does that translate into an actual experience?
I was lying in bed the other morning, in between sleeping and waking, and it hit me:
True confidence is the total freedom to be you.
I’m so glad I always keep a notebook by my bed because lots of other clear insights came to me and I was able to write them all down:
Relaxed self-expression, open and free
Decisions, actions, movements without hesitation or questioning
Unafraid, unabashed, unfiltered
Not embarrassed
Loud and clear. Not needing permission from anyone
Bold
Total inner knowing
Fully here
Alert, focused
No comparing
No need for approval from other people
Approving myself first and only
I realized that I approach many of the things I do in life with a lot of hesitation, questioning, doubting, and wondering if what I’m doing is good enough. Somewhere along the way, I picked up this habit, but now that I’m aware of it, and now that I have this empowering new understanding, I can make a new choice. I can choose to fully be me, loud and clear, proud and filled with joy and appreciation for who I am and for the privilege of living this amazing, mysterious, miraculous life!


You can also read it here:
http://islaorganic.com/what-is-confidence-really/

2 comments:

Brian said...

If you don’t mind, I’d like to chime in.

Confidence is not worrying what other people are thinking. Confidence is not trying to look good by putting up a fake appearance and avoiding looking bad. Confidence is freedom; to freely express yourself while loving and accepting who you are.

You know the saying “They are more afraid of you than you are with them.” The same can be applied when interacting with others. You may think other people are critically thinking what you are doing or saying when you interact with them, but in reality those people you interact with are worried about how they look to you when you interact with them.

You are doing an awesome job with your blog. Keep it up.

Angela said...

Thanks for your input Brian!
It's about being uninhibited and totally authentic...something I am moving towards all the time :)
Thanks again!