Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Love Experiment


I recently heard a story about a car salesman who sent love to all his customers. He would mentally say “I love you” to everyone he interacted with. The result was that he was really successful and people loved buying cars from him!
This story really got my attention because I feel like I try so hard at work to do my best and achieve all my goals. I often try so hard that it backfires on me. I get really nervous and I can look like I don’t know what I’m doing! When I heard this story, it inspired me to experiment and see what would happen if I sent love to all my clients. The next day at work, I mentally said “I love you” to each of my clients and to my coworkers too. The result was an overall feeling of ease and well-being that flowed through my entire day. All four of my clients upgraded to customized facials, and two of them bought products. This happened so naturally, with minimal effort on my part! There was no forcing, no convincing, and no sales pitch. I simply kept bringing myself back to this feeling of love, and everything unfolded so beautifully.
If you think about it, it really makes sense. We all want to be loved, and when we can feel love emanating from another person, of course we will naturally feel drawn to them. Let me clarify that this is not a way to manipulate people; genuine love can’t be faked, and I believe that people can tell if someone is trying to manipulate them. What I’m talking about, and probably what this car salesman experienced, was a feeling of true connection with people.
I noticed that my day unfolded with so much ease. One thing that usually bothers me is when my timing is off and things get backed up. That day, my timing wasn’t perfect at all, but the difference was that I didn’t let it bother me! I just rolled with it and decided to keep sending love to my clients. Every time I started to feel a little stressed or worried, I just kept bringing myself back into a feeling of love. I also want to add that the love I’m talking about is not to be confused with romantic love. I’m talking about genuine love and appreciation for another human being, whether we know them well or not.
I recently read a quote that sums it all up:
“We must know that we have been created for greater things, not just to be a number in the world, not just to go for diplomas and degrees, this work and that work. We have been created in order to love and to be loved.”
–Mother Teresa
I wholeheartedly agree, and it’s interesting to note that Mother Teresa was a millionaire. Just thought I’d throw that in there!
Imagine how your day would unfold if you sent love to every customer, every client, and all of your coworkers. Imagine sending love to every driver on the road—even the ones that cut you off! Imagine sending love to people that have hurt you in some way. It’s going beyond forgiveness, into compassion and wisdom. What a magnificent way to move through each day. I am totally going to continue this experiment and watch how it keeps unfolding!

You can also read it here! http://islaorganic.com/the-love-experiment/

No comments: