Monday, August 6, 2012

Living in the Moment


Some of you may know I work at a spa as an esthetician. It seems like every day is a lesson in trusting my instincts and knowing that everything will unfold smoothly. Most days, I’m booked pretty solid. Sometimes my first client will be a little late and it creates a negative domino effect for the entire day. I’m learning to ride that wave gracefully instead of getting flustered and rushing through each session, just trying to catch up with myself.
When I’m relaxed, confident, and even nonchalant, things seem to just flow. When I’m booked solid, I have a choice: I can freak out about trying to make sure everything goes perfectly, or I can relax and focus on enjoying the moment. When I’m able to relax and enjoy the moment, everything unfolds as if by magic. I am supplied with everything I need, people seem friendlier, and things just seem to go my way. Yet when I fret about timing, or trying to sell products, or if I find that I’m working too hard or trying to impress someone, everything feels more tedious and stressful, and it’s not fun at all.
I love the days when I’m in a state of flow. I’m in the right place at the right time and there’s not a trace of stress. The other night, it was the end of my shift and I happened to check my phone as a call was coming in. Then I made another call and I caught the person just before they were leaving. Then I realized I had three extra hot towels and I asked if anyone needed them. Someone just happened to need them at that moment! I absolutely love when things unfold like this. It amazes me because I wasn’t trying to make anything happen. I was just relaxed in the moment and everything just clicked into place.
These kinds of things happen all the time. Do you ever notice that when you’re in a rush, you catch every red light, or when you try to be quiet, you make the most noise? What’s up with that?! It seems like the very act of trying to make something happen is counterproductive. It’s more natural and productive to ease into the experience, no matter what it is, and watch it unfold gracefully.
I always thought I had to set goals and work really hard at achieving them. But I’m realizing more and more that life is not about getting to a finish line. Life is a constant unfolding. Life is here and now. We can’t relive the past and we can’t live in the future. We can only be right where we are: in the constantly flowing present moment. What a great place to be!



You can also read my article here! http://islaorganic.com/living-in-the-moment/

No comments: