Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Art of Surrender


When you hear the word surrender, do you think of giving up? Quitting? Feeling defeated? I actually see it as letting go of an endless struggle. Many of us were taught that we need to work hard and suffer in order to be successful in life. This is a prevalent concept that influences us in ways we don’t even realize. I always believed this, but looking back on my life, I can see that it hasn’t been such a great formula! I definitely have so much that I’m grateful for, but I have so many goals that I haven’t achieved.
I feel like I’ve always been trying to figure out what to do with my life, constantly searching for answers to my endless questions. It’s amazing to notice how many wonderful experiences have fallen into my lap when I finally let go of trying to force anything to happen. My current job, my closest friendships, my workout routine—all these amazing parts of my life came to me without having to force them into reality!
I now approach each day knowing that things will unfold naturally, especially if I let go of worrying or trying to figure out how it’s going to all work out. For example, I work at a spa as an esthetician, and some days can be pretty hectic. Some services have to be coordinated with the massage therapists and the timing has to be pretty precise. I had a very busy day recently and I decided to trust that it would all unfold in just the right way, rather than stressing about how to time everything and get it all perfect. Everything unfolded smoothly and I even enjoyed my whole day! I didn’t rush or worry. I was present with each client and even at the end of that fully packed day, I felt energized and fulfilled. I wasn’t tired at all.
What would happen if you started letting things unfold naturally?
Things always work better when you stop trying so hard. It’s like the world opens up to you. Every desire starts to make its way towards you in an endless stream. Of course, there will be challenges along the way, but that’s just part of the big picture. It’s such a cliché, but the challenges really do make you stronger and wiser!
So this week, let go of the struggle and really trust that everything will unfold naturally…and see what happens!



You can also read this article here: http://islaorganic.com/the-art-of-surrender/