Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Application of Knowledge is Power

Here is another article I wrote for Isla Magazine!


I’ve read a ton of books, attended workshops, listened to endless free teleclasses, watched informative documentaries, and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen every episode of Oprah’s Lifeclass. I even had my own life coach at one point. I came to the realization that no matter how much valuable information I receive, it’s meaningless unless I put it into practice. We’ve all heard the saying, “Knowledge is power.” I’ve always believed that, but I recently heard it expressed in a way that takes it to a whole new dimension: The application of knowledge is power.
It reminds me of a quote from Henry David Thoreau:
“As a single footstep will not make a path on the Earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives.”
I’m notorious for taking pages and pages of notes, and then organizing them neatly into color-coded notebooks. They look so pretty and organized, but what good are they doing in there? I recently found the notes I took when Cheryl Richardson was on Oprah’s Lifeclass. She has an app on her phone that she programs to beep every hour with a positive affirmation. I loved the sound of this, yet it became just another idea that stayed neatly packed away in my notebook. When I found my notes, I was inspired by it again so I decided to put it into practice. I programmed my phone to say things like:
You are loved.
You are a goddess.
You can trust yourself.
You got this!
Every time I get a reminder, I feel like I’m receiving a loving message from someone who cares about me. It’s a positive distraction that sets my train of thought into a new direction.
Not using what you’ve learned is like watching hours of cooking shows and not trying any of the recipes. There’s nothing wrong with eating the same kinds of food over and over again. You’re fueling your body and you’re getting through the day. But what if you want to try new flavors? What if you’re inspired by a beautiful meal and you really want to create it? It’s so much fun to try new experiences. Your life takes on a new richness and depth, and everything starts to feel fresh and new again.
There is so much valuable information out there. Take what inspires you and put it into practice. These small efforts will produce powerful, positive results.

No comments: