Friday, March 2, 2012

Savor the Moment

I went to the grocery store today to pick up a few items. All the check out lines seemed pretty full so I got on the express line. It seemed like it was moving slowly, so I started looking through a kitchen and bath magazine. I was totally mesmerized by the beautiful pictures. So mesmerized, in fact, that I missed my chance to move to a quicker line! I was a little annoyed at first, but I decided to just stay in my line and finish looking through this beautiful magazine.


I finally got up to the cashier. He was this adorable, fresh faced young man; probably around 18 or so. He said the usual "How are you?" and I responded with "Good, how are you?" I was surprised to hear him say "Good, I guess." I asked him why and he said, "I'm not really good at this." I offered some encouraging words as I fumbled with the debit card scanner, and I said, "I'm not good at this thing either!"


We both laughed and I felt so good that I had the opportunity to interact with this wonderful person. I love the fact that maybe our happy interaction made a little bit of a positive difference in his day.


This is another great example of how sometimes we think something "bad" happened; in this case, me missing my chance to move to the quicker line and having to wait longer. When in fact, it turned out to be a lovely experience that never would have happened if I got on the faster line. I could have chosen to have a quicker transaction, but what would have happened? I would have gotten to my car two minutes faster. That's all.




It also made me think: What are we rushing for? Why do so many of us tend to rush through life and try to get on the fastest line and make the green light and cut in front of people and make transactions go faster? Where are we going?!


This experience made me realize how beautiful it is to savor the moment and enjoy the journey. There are so many wonderful experiences, waiting to be savored by us every day. They're usually quiet and subtle, but if you look for those moments to savor, they will start showing up everywhere!




(image from google search for "smell the flowers")

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful Angela, great insight!!

Angela said...

Thank you!

Nirjhari said...

I'm savoring the puppy in the poppies picture.

Angela said...

So adorable, right?!

Mary Leedy said...

I had a similar experience with a local grocery store cashier. She saw me and said the usual, "how's it going?" I replied back, "Pretty good so far!" and she looked at me like, "are you serious???" LOL She laughed and I laughed. I guess I was just a little too perky at that time of day which I beleive was late in the evening. She looked tired but at least she a nice laugh before her shift was over. :-)

Angela said...

I love that, Mary! It's fun to catch people off guard in such a positive way :)