Monday, March 7, 2011

The Power of Music

An amazing thing happened at my friend's house yesterday. Her and her husband had to leave for a little while, and I stayed with her son and her sister. As soon as they started to leave, her son started crying—it was more like wailing! I’ve never seen him cry that hard. It was intense!


I said a quick prayer in my mind…something like: what can I do?? I looked over and noticed his toy drum. So I picked it up and started to gently tap a rhythmic beat. He stopped crying almost instantly, and he just watched me. I kept it going for a while and he calmed down really quickly! I was amazed.

This reminded me of the Baby Bob Marley video I saw on youtube a few months ago. I’ve only shared it with a few people because the father makes some comments that might offend people. Which is sad because it’s such an astounding thing to watch. In the video, the little boy, who is probably around 18 months old, is throwing a tantrum. But then the father puts on Buffalo Soldier by Bob Marley and the boy instantly smiles and starts bopping his head to the music! I will always remember that remarkable scene…

I wish more people knew about this! I’ve seen so many parents struggle to make their child stop crying and “behave” when it could be as simple as just putting on some soothing music, or even singing to them. I remember when my nephew was little, someone was changing his diaper and he was fussing and just didn’t want to stay still. I started singing “So Fresh, So Clean” by Outkast (it was the first song that popped into my mind!!), and he just looked at me and smiled!

I’ve learned, just from observing my friends who have kids, and parents in general over the years, that children love music. They respond to it. And I’ve also noticed that they require something that captures their attention. Their minds are so creative, so active…they don’t want to just sit still! They want to utilize their creativity. If a child has a toy or a game, they’ll be happy and occupied, especially if they’re in a restaurant, a waiting room, etc. I don’t have children, so this is all purely from observation, and of course, these are just my opinions J

No comments: