Saturday, March 5, 2011

Inspiring Images

I am a very visual person. I love reading and of course I love writing, but I am also deeply inspired by the beauty of an exquisite image. I find that I get a rush of inspiration when I see a beautiful picture. I always fall for beautiful packaging and I will easily buy a magazine or a book for its cover alone!

And that brings me to cookbooks. I feel that it’s almost a requirement for cookbook writers to include the pictures of their recipes. I’ve come to the conclusion that you can find a cookbook with the most magnificent recipes in the world, but if there are no pictures, how can you feel inspired to make them?

Perfect example: yesterday I was leisurely strolling around Barnes & Noble and I was flipping through the pages of Sarma Melngailis’s book “Living Raw Food.” The cover itself is gorgeous. Sarma looks radiant drinking a beverage that is the most refreshing shade of orange ever! I was totally reveling in the gorgeous photographs throughout the entire book.

I also came across Rod Rotondi’s book “Raw food for Real People.” In this book, he has a small section of about 15 photographs. There’s one picture of a berry smoothie that had me at hello! It was a deep, vibrant shade of raspberry. It looked so refreshing, so alive, and so delicious!

This one picture inspired me so much that I actually made one this morning! And here’s the thing: I didn’t even read the recipe!! I just threw in a bunch of things that appealed to me, and voila!

Here’s what I used in my vibrant, delicious smoothie:

One banana
Frozen raspberries and blackberries
A few chunks of papaya
A nice amount of baby spinach
Some fresh lemon juice
The juice of one orange
That’s it!

It was so delicious, so refreshing, and so nutritious! I’ve been drinking it all morning J
The color is kind of nondescript. It would be fun to make it look as yummy as it tastes.

Cheers!






No comments: