Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Pizza that turned into a Bruschetta!

Since discovering my allergy to gluten, I've been experimenting in the kitchen with other options. I decided to try making a pizza with gluten-free dough.

I didn't read the instructions, and I ended up making a mess! It was a fun mess, though. While the pizza crust was baking, I was making the sauce and toppings.

Since I didn't read the instructions, the crust was way too thick. It was crispy on the outside and really mushy and doughy on the inside. My mom saw what was going on. She had a brilliant idea: to trim the crispy part off, and then put the crust back in the oven.

It was a great idea. We then took the pieces we trimmed off and decided to use them as pita crisps!

So here's my recipe for what I call "Abstract Bruschetta."

For the marinara sauce, that turned out to be bruschetta:*

3 tomatoes
1 handful of sundried tomatoes (dry)
1 carrot
1 handful of basil leaves
1 pinch of parsley (or a handful of fresh parsley)
1 handful of fresh spinach
1 or 2 Tablespoons of olive oil

Put everything into a food processor and blend until it's a nice, slightly chunky consistency.

(*This sauce is NOT cooked. The ingredients are all raw...and delicious!)

For the toppings, I used sauteed broccoli, sauteed portabello mushrooms, kalamata olives, and feta cheese. (You can use raw broccoli, and perhaps marinate the mushrooms if you don't like them raw.)

I then took the lovely, abstract pita crisps, and piled on the bruschetta, and the other toppings. I also drizzled some olive oil and a little bit of sea salt on top. It was absolutely delicious and refreshing...and totally satisfying!

For the pita crisps...next time I'm going to take the dough, and spread it into really thin layers on a pan, and see what happens!

This is a great transition food for someone who is trying to transition into a raw or living foods lifestyle. An alternative for the dough would be...maybe putting the bruschetta onto romaine leaves, or cabbage leaves, or another hearty green, leafy vegetable. Many raw foodists like to use a dehydrator, so you can make a raw-version of pita crisps, or even crackers, using nuts and seeds, instead of the pizza dough. I'm going to try that when I get a dehydrator! There are tons of great recipes available online and in the endless "un-cook books" out there :)

To me, this is the perfect example of when you plan something and you end up doing something completely different, and the end result ends up being a million times better than what you originally planned!

Experimenting in the kitchen is fun! I didn't realize how creative I could be with food! And I'm really good at it :)

Lots of love and blessings...

No comments: